Thursday, January 3, 2013

oh, glucose!

Since we're back in town, but I still have the rest of the week off of work, I went to go get my glucose test done yesterday. Originally, Cass was going to come with me & get his blood test done as well (for his acne meds) and we would run some errands after. Unfortunately, he had to work, so I went by myself. I brought my iPhone to swag & Narnia  to read. I'm good at keeping myself entertained, yo. 

I didn't have to wait too long before getting the drink, maybe 10-15 minutes? It was a pretty busy day for the Phelbotomists. The drink was really, really sugary, but it didn't taste horrible. Just like a super sugary toddler drink. And drinking it in five minutes? Not a problem. 

So I sat and chilled and waited. I earned swagbucks and read almost all of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. And then it had been an hour. I'm reading the super large all-in-one Narnia, so I packed the book oh-so-tightly in my purse and waited. They'd come get me soon. Right? 

Then I started to get really, really tired. And a little light headed. And I really thought I was going to puke. But if I threw up, or passed out, would they still do the test on me?? I didn't want to take the chance. Deeeeeeep breaths!  After about an additional 20 minutes of waiting, they came and got me. 

I let the student they had draw my blood. She was slow but did okay. Once they got the three vials they needed, I was even more lightheaded. I let them know and then asked for a trash can to throw up in. Gross. Totally emptied my stomach. I can't imagine if they'd made me fast before the test instead of just doing a simple (toast & egg, no sugar!) breakfast. I don't think I would have made it! 

After some breathing, resting, crackers, and apple juice, I felt much better. I was even able to get my errands done! My tummy still felt upset, though, so even though I was starving, I just had a granola bar and rested. I "took a little nap" around 3 . . . and didn't get up til almost 8!! And then I went back to bed pretty early too. 

After all that, I don't know if I passed the test or not. . . but I sure hope they don't make me do the three hour! There's no way I can pass that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment